Saturday, June 23, 2012

Guided Math Book Study {Chapter 2}


Chapter 2:  Using Guided Math to Create a Classroom Environment of Numeracy

I keep thinking that this is all about how we should teach math like we teach reading.  Our classrooms should also have a environment rich in numeracy.  How can we find a balance in our rooms of both numeracy and literacy?

The chapter begins with the foundational principles of a guided math classrooms (pgs 34-37.)  Followed by suggestions for building a classroom learning community.  The author stresses "Communication is at the heart of mathematics-to clarify thinking, to express ideas, to share with others, to justify processes, and to explore relationships" (Sammons, pg 39).  Next, the book discusses the classroom arrangement including the home area, large group meeting area, small group area and workshop area.

Organization and Storage of Materials---My math organization works for me and I made very few changes this year.  I  have a math cabinet where I keep the math manipulatives.  All the containers are labeled.    I have written a post about how I organized my math cabinet here



This year I purchased these containers.  We put our money, counters and other small items into these smaller containers and then placed them in the larger one for storage.  The containers worked great for me.


At the end of the chapter, Sammons discusses ways to make your classroom a numeracy-rich environment.  They are:
  • Student Calendars or Agendas
  • Manipulatives
  • Problems of the Day and Problems of the Week
  • Word Wall and Vocabulary Displays
  • Math Journals
  • Graphic Organizers
  • Class-Made Charts
  • Tools for Measuring
  • Math-Related Children's Literature
  • Math Books by Student Authors
  • Math Connections to Other Curricular Areas

This Chapter is hosted by Dana at 3rd Grade Gridiron.  She has a fabulous video on her page describing the chapter that you must see.





If you missed Chapter 1 check out Brenda over at Primary Inspired.  She hosted Chapter 1.

Primary Inspired

1 comment:

  1. Came across your blog and had to become a follower! I love your view on the importance of Math in every classroom. I teach First Grade and am always wanting to put more emphasis on Math as well. Thanks for sharing your book study. I look forward to hearing more about it. Come visit my new blog at Keeping Up With First Grade so that we can *Teach to Make a Difference Together.*

    Your Math closet looks great too!

    ReplyDelete