This chapter has a great deal of information and ideas. I am trying hard not to feel overwhelmed, especially after reading all the wonderful responses this week. I think it is important to remember baby steps. I am also having trouble adjusting my thinking from kindergarten to second grade standards.
Below I will give my answers to the guiding questions on our Math Work Stations Book Mark that I got from Deedee Wills over at Mrs. Wills Kindergarten.
How will you support math vocabulary (math talk) at the Beginning Number Concepts stations?
- As with anything you must model.
- I will use math talk cards
- I want to create "I Can" charts and "Anchor Charts" with the children.
- My school uses the Investigations program with Harcourt Math and Everyday Counts Calendar as supplemental resources. The Investigations program begins the year with several games that can be used in the Math Stations after being modeled and practiced. These games include: cover and count, make 10, double it, double arrays and magic pot.
- During the first few weeks of school we review basic addition factions and our first math unit is place value.
- If anyone has any tutorials on how to spruce up some of my games please let me know and I will be glad to share.
What is your student's favorite number concepts work station/activity?
- It has been 4 years since I last taught second grade. The last time I taught 2nd grade, the students loved number of the day. This is the activity where the students written different expression that equals today's number. I want to include this in my math workstations. I am thinking about placing a journal in the tube and have the students record their answers there.