Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 4 of Cruise

Our shipped docked in St. Thomas.  WOW!  Is all I can say.  This island is gorgeous!


While we waited on the ship to dock we saw a plane come in and land.  Abby was so excited to see this and all I could think of was Fantasy Island.  This is truly a trip of firsts for my family.





We started the day by taking an island tour with "Air Force One Tours."  Our guide was the owner of the tour company, he goes by the name "Papa Bear".  He was a great guide with lots of historical information about his island.  He took us to several different photo opportunity spots.  One of the first places we saw was Lindbergh Beach on Lindberg Bay.  Many of the tourists know this as Emerald Bay Beach.  It was named Lindbergh in honor of the man who was responsible for lengthening the airport.  (I think)



Papa Bear took us through the hills and he told us how the homes on the mountain did not have running water.  The residents had to purchase water or catch rain water.  He showed us native plants and herbs.  We also toured a farm that grew many local items.



We went to the Greathouse, which was the home of the first elected governor of St. John.  Papa Bear explained that when the United States first acquired the island the President appointed the governor.  Now, the governor is elected.  The Greathouse has beautiful grounds that we toured.



After the 2 1/2 hour island tour we went to Megan's Bay Beach.  This has been voted as one of the ten best beaches in the world.  Megan's Bay Beach is shaped like a heart.






We missed dinner in the dining room this night due to the fact we were later coming in from port.  My poor family had to settle for the buffet.  Abby and I watched one of the shows on board the ship called "Dancing in the Streets", while Katie and Jason went back to the room to rest.  We had a fabulous day!  This is an island that I would like to spend a couple of days on.



1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of the plane. It reminds me of the show "Fantasy Island" lol

    Thanks for sharing your family vacation memories with me.
    I am glad you all had a blast!!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete