Thursday, July 7, 2011

Math Work Stations Blog Book Party Week 6

This blog book study has been wonderful! I have learned so much from all the other bloggers. The resources available now are just awesome! There is something available for everyone.

Today my post is in response to Chapter 7: Geometry Work Stations.

Below I will give my answers to the guiding questions on our Math Work Stations Book Mark that I got from Deedee Wills over at Mrs. Wills Kindergarten.

How do you support math vocabulary (math talk) at geometry stations?

I think that it is important that we remember that the students are not going to math stations until we have taught them how to use the station and are familiar with all the different materials in the stations. Modeling the correct vocabulary and the language you want the students to use is so important. I think that the use of math talk cards and anchor charts will aid children during their workstations. I just love the math talk card on pg. 168, it show children a great visual with edge, face and vertex. I am so going to use this idea in the fall!

What student activities help support your student's understanding of how to draw, build, make, put together and take apart 2-D and 3-D shapes?

Debbie Diller has put together an impressive assortment of workstations and I plan to implement many of them, along with all the other wonderful resources that is being shared during the book study. Some of my favorites are:
  • Digital Shape Hunt (pg 165)
  • Making Shape Flip Books (pg 167-168)
  • Build 3-D shapes with toothpicks, playdough and other materials (pg 166)
What is your student's favorite geometry work station/activity?

I was shown a new way this summer to play "Simon Says". During my Math Investigations training a woman by the name of Harper told the class how she teaches the children to recognize a line, line segment, ray, right angle, obtuse angle, acute angle, parallel and perpendicular lines. I have tried to attach the directions. The pictures are not the best, hopefully you will get the idea.

Geometry Simon Says



This weeks party is being hosted by Mrs. Patton's Patch. Head over there and check out all the wonderful resources.


3 comments:

  1. I totally do geometry simon with my 3rd graders but we call it Geometry George:) My students love it and can't get enough of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Geometry Simon Says!
    Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that I was the only one that played this silly game with my students. Well I better rethink that idea!
    Deborah Devine
    http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete